BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Problem with Friends

I'm blessed with many good friends, and a handful of tight friends. Very tight friends. I'm also close with both of my parents and have grown closer to my sister over the past few years. There is no doubt that I have a solid support network. I'm lucky.

However, I've found that this support network can be both a blessing and a curse. Here is what I mean: I share a lot of my journey with my friends. They are invested and really want things to work out for me. When things don't work out, I have to go back and update all of my friends. If I don't, they eventually call me for an update. This is great when you have good news to report, because you get to report the news and relive the victory a dozen or more times. This is not so great when you have bad news to report, e.g. a miscarriage, a second miscarriage, your parents' separation, a break-up, or a failed embryo transfer, because you get to report the news and relive the pain a dozen or more times. As an added bonus, you also get to see the person who loves you get upset, feel bad for you, and then feel like shit because she can't fix it. Its like pouring a 1/2 cup of salt into an open wound - not fun.

So now I'm trying out a new strategy: what happens if you just keep everyone in the dark about what you're really doing and pretend nothing is going on? I'll get back to you on how well this works. What I have noticed is that you can only keep yourself in the dark for so long. Case in point: you wonder why you're eating everything that doesn't eat you first, and why your ass and thighs appear to be spreading like wildfire. Ah ha! its because you are pretending that nothing is going on in your life right now, and so instead you're eating your way through your pantry. Not pretty folks.

0 comments: