BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Check, please!

I stole away from work yesterday to go on a lunch date. (Yes, I told my office manager that I had a meeting at another office --- is there anything wrong with that????)

This guy caught my attention because he is both funny and smart - a rare combination. I showed up at the designated restaurant right on time, and he was already there and seated -- bonus points! He was attractive in an alternative, metal earring sort of way -- definitely not my normal gig, but I was willing to be open-minded. The conversation was easy, candid and entertaining and he actually asked questions about me and my life -- what a novel concept.

I liked him. I wasn't sure that I liked him, but I was having a good time and was entertained by his stories about parenting his teenage kids. While talking to him I was asking myself if I'd go out with him again, and then the check came. Keep in mind that he invited me to lunch (we'd originally planned on coffee) and that the total bill was $25. He got out his credit card and I gestured toward my wallet when he said, and I quote,

"I can just buy the whole lunch if you want me to."

Wow. Sounds like a line that would fly out of Humphrey Bogart's mouth ... not.

For a moment I was really surprised. And then I recovered and said, "Oh thanks, but I'll pay half," and I did. I walked back to my office assuming that he too realized that we weren't 'a match' and this was his not-so-subtle way of imparting this verdict to me.

Wasn't I surprised to get a text that evening thanking me for lunch (or for paying my half?) and saying he hoped we could do it again soon. ???????? !!!!!!!!!!!. This morning he sent me an e-mail with the same sentiment.

Does this mean he likes me, but truly didn't want to pay for my lunch ???? I'm sorry, I am a feminist and a working woman, but when you invite someone out for lunch, pay the damn bill. If she makes a move for her wallet, be a man and say, "No, please allow me." If you don't, it sends a strong message that you are either not interested, have poor manners or have no balls.

0 comments: