BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 8, 2013

The Cost of Being Cheap

I hate women who go out with men to get a free meal and I am not one of those women.  However, I've got a gripe with men who are cheap --- and I've met more than my share lately.

I recently went out with a guy who was driving over an hour to meet me and I offered, up front, to buy him an overpriced drink at a swanky bar.  Little did I know that he would order a scotch that was $20  for what amounted to 4 Tablespoons worth of alcohol, but hey - a deal is a deal and I was happy to pick up the tab.

We met again for a lunch date a week later and had pizza.  I kid you not, the tab was $11.  When the bill came he said, "What should we do about the bill?".  Can you imagine ???  He ended up putting it on his credit card only because he didn't have enough cash to pay for half.  And this was a date that was going well!  Unacceptable.  Meanwhile, I was paying $10/hour for a babysitter.  Wow.

A year ago a guy asked me out for a drink and we met at a Mexican restaurant and each had one drink. At his insistence, we also split an appetizer (I would much rather have just a drink on date #1).  When the bill came he was visibly uncomfortable and said something like, "I can pay the bill if you'd like me to."  Are you serious?  and so we split the bill.  Really nice guy, really low class move.

Equally as bad are men who say things like, "I'll be the nice guy and get the bill here" (last summer)  or "I'll take the hit on this one" (2 weeks ago).  Whatever happened to, "Please, it would be my pleasure"????

Men, if you can't afford to pay for one drink, one appetizer, or an $11 pizza, here is the bottom line --- don't ask the girl out.  Period.  Because you truly can't afford to look this cheap.  It's rude, it's low class and frankly, its just not acceptable.

0 comments: