BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Angry Cupid

When I was in college some of my friends invented The Angry Cupid, an imaginary character who would go around shooting happy couples in the arse with a dart gun. Somehow I don't think this concept would be such big hit with the college shootings as of late, but it was damn funny in the nineties.

I'm single at the moment and can honestly say that I don't mind Valentine's Day and the pervasive love songs, candy hearts, flower ads, and romantic restaurant specials that follow. What I do mind is all of the people who make comments about 'feeling sorry' for single people on Valentine's Day. For the love of God people, get over it.

The absolute worst Valentine's Day I've ever had was not when I was single, but four years ago when I was in the relationship that was supposedly The Big Kahuna. It was our first V-Day together and we decided to do something meaningful, rather than commercial. Deep, right? I spent several weeks putting together a compilation of our relationship thus far: our first e-mails, a timeline of our relationship, and a meaningful letter. I'm no Martha Stewart, but I have to say it was good. And what did he do in return? Absolutely nothing. Not even a card. And then two days later he sent me a box of firesale dark chocolate. I don't eat dark chocolate, it gives me a headache. That was rock bottom.

A year later I spent pre-Valentine's week trying to think up a way to get out of the relationship that came post-Big Kahuna. I knew if I didn't get out before V-Day it could get ugly. I spent that Valentine's Day locked in my condo with the phone off the hook, relishing my reclaimed singlehood.

I know that Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday, but I'll admit that I like it anyway. When I'm in a good relationship, I actually look forward to writing a sappy letter, cooking a special dinner, and buying into the cheesiness that Valentine's Day demands. But I spent this Valentine's Day en route back from my good friend's 40th birthday bash and spent the evening in, recovering from the party and working on house projects. Cupid isn't angry, he's just on vacation --- and that's okay with me, I need the break.

0 comments: