BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blink

Have you read this book by Malcolm Gladwell? I find the concept fascinating.

Here is the 50 cent summary:

If we listen to our inner selves, the answer to a complex question will sometimes come to us in the blink of an eye. Some call it a gut feeling or a premonition. These blink decisions are often dead accurate --- even more accurate than decisions made over time and with reams of data. The reason? We are actually using weeks, years, or decades of experiences, data, and insights which come together in a complex decision-tree to deliver a reaction in a split second. So, go with your gut.

One of the many examples given is a beautiful, ancient sculpture brought to an art gallery for auction. All of the paperwork, the background story, and the history appeared to be legit. But several art historians who viewed the piece independently said it was a fake, even though they couldn't explain why. Gut feeling. They were correct.

We often try to ignore these gut feelings, especially when they don't fit our plans. I find myself trying to do this all of the time. I was dating a guy a few years ago and trying to convince myself I really liked him. In the moment before I fell asleep a thought rushed through my mind in a nanosecond, "He is fine to date, but you could never love him." I jolted awake and spent an hour trying to convince myself why this wasn't true. But it was true.

Another time I was throwing an annual summer party and my serious boyfriend walked through the door after months of dragging his heels about moving to my area. This was supposed to be the first day of our life together. When he walked through the door instead of being thrilled to see him, the thought that flashed across my brain was, "He'd be a good friend, but I don't want to be married to him". Lightning bolt. Also true.

I'm still trying to ignore all inconvenient revelations in my life. But this book made me realize that sometimes you can't talk yourself out of the truth --- even when you don't understand the underpinnings that led you to that conclusion.

2 comments:

cusegirl18 said...

OK, I am requesting this book from the library and picking it up today!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a very good book to read.