BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, July 31, 2009

Watermelon Ceiling

I'm not precisely sure why, but I've had a hard time letting myself truly believe that my baby girl will be here in about 10 weeks. Call it superstition, kinahora, or stone cold fear --- I just haven't allowed myself to fully dive in.

But she is big enough now that she could live outside the womb if she had to. Don't get me wrong - I hope she bakes for at least 10 more weeks, but it is reassuring to know.

So I took a big figurative and literal step and had her ceiling painted watermelon. Light watermelon, but watermelon all the same.

At first glance it appeared that someone projectile vomited a giant bowl of raspberry sorbet on her ceiling. But now I'm getting used to it and think that with the right accessories, her room will look great.

My childhood room was (is) yellow. The wallpaper had green vines, yellow flowers and tiny aqua butterflies all over it. I loved it. It felt so safe, so familiar, so mine.

And now I look at this watermelon ceiling that my daughter will stare at thousands of times as a newborn, an infant, a baby, a toddler and someday a teenager. She'll sleep, wake, laugh, cry, fret, stew, and pine over some dumb kid in this room. All under the watermelon ceiling.

1 comments:

cusegirl18 said...

I love this post and I love watermelon (and I am containing my excitement at this precise moment.....)