BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 4, 2009

Turning in the keys

I'm in an interesting situation. Most people don't know that I'm expecting a baby - I'm single, I'm not carrying, and I'm not showing. I've told my family and my closest friends and colleagues, but an awkward conversation to strike up with my parking lot attendant, if you know what I mean.

So, let's call this a stealth pregnancy. It may not show on the outside, but a lot of wheels are churning on the inside.

I've never not worked. I went straight from college to graduate school, to job #1, and then job #2 where I've stayed for 14 years. The longest break I've ever taken was 3 months between graduate school and job #1, when I was interviewing, moving, and setting up shop. Since then, my maximum leave from work has been 2 weeks -- and even then I check e-mail and vmail every day (by the way, I'm not bragging).

The idea of a 3 month maternity leave is therefore a novel concept for me. But its a concept I plan to embrace. I've gone through hell and back to have a baby, and I want to be the one raising and enjoying her. And she deserves to spend time with her Mom.

A friend of mine recently had a baby. Goal #1 for her was to ensure that her life changed as little as possible. Dammit, she would still work, go to the gym, play her sports, and do everything she did pre-baby. The baby could work itself into her schedule, and not vice versa.

Not me. I'm starting to opt out of things for the fall. I'm passing hard-won opportunities on to junior co-workers. I thought this would be much harder for me than it is. Its not. The career thing is kind of like Happy Hour. I've done Happy Hour. I've done it for many years, and I've done it well. I've had dollar beer nights, ladies specials, Margarita mixers, and well-drink Fridays. I've eaten many a chicken wing, jalapeno popper and greasy nachos with cheese whiz. I've flirted with 20-nothings, young professionals, 30-somethings, and guys that were too old to be at Happy Hour.

I've given up Happy Hour for lent, and I don't need to have it back. This is how I feel about my career. Been there, done the long hours and weekends, handing in the keys.

Don't get me wrong, I still need to bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan. But this diner now officially closes at 5pm --- and I'm taking time out for story hour at the library.

0 comments: