BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Solo

I'm in Newport for an old friend's wedding. I came stag because its difficult to invite a 'friend' to be your date for an out of town wedding to sleep one foot on the floor with you in your king size bed.

It's never all that much fun to go stag to a wedding where you mainly know just the bride and groom; but, I've decided to make the best of it.

When I checked into my hotel I was very surprised to see that the bathroom was as large as the studio apartment I had in the city. Separate rooms for the toilet, sinks and the combo shower/jacuzzi room. Wild. And when discussing my disco bathroom with the bride's friends from home at the post-party I learned that not everyone has a taj bathroom --- just me.

I had a fantasy about the one single guy attending the wedding tomorrow and how I will invite him back to my jacuzzi for champagne and strawberries (because this happens so often). I then had a reality that this is likely the very last time I will go out of town solo without either a) bringing my daughter, or b) leaving her with a sitter (unlikely). Holy shit.

This last thought is overwhelming in some ways. Let me repeat: I will never again leave town without either bringing my daughter or making child care arrangements.

But when I skip past the fantasy jacuzzi date, and stick to the reality of my life, this is okay. There is room in the corner of the disco bathroom for a changing station.

1 comments:

Allison said...

seriously, are you writing a book?? if not, you need to be. you're the best.