BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 30, 2011

From the Outside Looking In

Today Lucy and I were doing our early Sunday morning routine in the coffee shop and she was hanging out with the regulars, who have become her weekend uncles. I overheard one of them saying that they are Lucy's uncles because, "the kid has to have a family".

Shock. The look on my face must have been priceless. I then put 2 + 2 together. Single mom here with a baby every weekend. No wedding ring. No husband, no father. These two must have no family.

I didn't mention the doting grandparents, the aunt and her family 3 hours away, the handful of great aunts and uncles, or the scores of friends-who-are-like-family we are blessed to have in our lives. I didn't mention the neighbors who think Lucy is half theirs or our loving nanny. But it did make me remember, once again, how different the world looks when you are the outsider looking in.

0 comments: