BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lessons in Starbucks

It's another snowy day here in the Northeast and I'm sitting in Starbucks trying to work on a project deadline. One of my Starbucks friends (don't even know his name) asked how my daughter is doing, and I replied that she is doing well and getting big. This prompted him to share the following story:

"About 13 years ago I dated a woman with a beautiful 4 year old daughter. It was the 'perfect set-up' because I loved the daughter and if it worked out I knew I'd have an 'instant family'. The three of us did everything together -- shopping, sailing, playing at the park -- and I loved it. Unfortunately, the relationship with the mom didn't work out after we dated for two years and I hadn't seen her or her daughter in many years. The other day I was in the grocery store and a beautiful young woman walked by. She looked so familiar and I couldn't stop staring at her, and finally said, "Lilly?". She turned around and sure enough it was the little girl - now 17 years old! She remembered me too and we caught up for a few minutes. What a wonderful memory."

I didn't get much work done on my project this morning, but I learned a lot.

0 comments: